Friday, March 11, 2011

Pain to Beauty

This morning, Japan was hit with the largest earthquake they've ever had in history. The earthquake was 8.9 on the Richter scale, and cause a Tsunami, 7 metres high. I guess it's hard to imagine in Canada an earthquake, or how powerful they can be. The impact was so colossal, that a Tsunami hit Haiti this morning as well. I feel so terrible. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through something like that. I'm praying that they'll get as much help as they can today, but even with the most efficient help, it doesn't take away from the emotional, physical, and spiritual disaster that people must be experiencing there. I have Christian brothers and sisters who are dieing and suffering right now, and I get to sit in my comfy apartment, on my comfy couch, in a comfy, heated room. I could be one of those people in Japan right now. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I am just overwhelmed with grief for these people. Please pray for Japan.


All of this pain can be turned around to God's glory, and I've been looking at a couple of God's promises through Scripture today. I pray that through this disaster, many will turn to God for their comfort, and that God's kingdom will grow because of this disaster. These verses give me some peace about this whole situation & I hope that they may be able to give some people in Japan a little bit of peace over the next few days, months, and years that they'll be recovering through. God can turn this pain to beauty.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

Psalm 34:18 
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
   and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

1 comment: